Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lent 13

In the morning when I rise,
In the morning when I rise,
In the morning when I rise,
give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus! Give me Jesus!
You can have all this world,
give me Jesus.

And when I am alone,
When I am alone,
When I am alone,

give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus! Give me Jesus!
You can have all this world,
give me Jesus.

When I come to die,
When I come to die,
When I come to die,

give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus! Give me Jesus!
You can have all this world,
give me Jesus.

(Readers will forgive me if today I pray through words that are not my own. Sometimes our souls' cries are best expressed through song. This spiritual has long been a favorite of mine, and it reflects the Lenten spirit: to follow Jesus, come what may. I invite you to take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful recording of Give Me Jesus. [An aside: I'm certain that I've sung this choral arrangement of the spiritual, back once upon a time in my singing days in choirs.] Be blessed and encouraged today!)

1 comment:

Ray said...

What? Something that's not original? How dare you! Just kidding. I'm not familiar with this spiritual but will listen.