Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For My Daughter (A Prayer of St. Anne)

My dear,

I birth you into a world of imperfections:
there are takers
deceivers
violators
haters.

Yet still it is a world of God's grace,
filled with givers
counselors
nurturers
lovers.

In all things, be a child of God, in the footsteps of God.

Womb of my womb,
I pray for you strength and grace,
inner beauty and outer presence.

Daughter of daughters,
May you strive for knowledge and friendship,
peace and justice.

Newest of women,
How can I explain to you womanhood,
so beautiful and so powerful?

Young Mary of mine,
In every playfulness and each pain,
in every growth and each rest...

...believe that God is woman.

I wrote a prayer for each of my children when they were born. This prayer -- written in the voice of St. Anne, mother of Mary the mother of Jesus -- was written for my daughter, who has a birthday today.

No comments: